30 July 2012

Smoothies

I decided that instead of making a single post every smoothie, it would make a lot more sense just to put all the smoothies in one single post. I absolutely love smoothies - the real reason why I bought a blender in the first place. It is so easy to make up a smoothie from berries, juices and yogurts that you have at home or to use up some leftovers. To save you the headache, here are some great smoothies to enjoy as snacks, breakfasts or refreshing drinks. I promise, that every time I try out a new one, I will update this post, so if you're into smoothies, keep an eye on it.


Pineapple-watermelon smoothie 
(Serves 1)
- 150g pineapple
- 200g watermelon

Put everything in the blender and blend until smooth. You could also add ice if you prefer, however, I keep my ingredients in the fridge for few hours before making the smoothie, so it is already nice and cool and as I don't need to add ice I avoid getting the 'brain freeze' feeling when drinking my smoothie.

This is a really refreshing drink, which also fills you up (for a limited time of course). Perfect for hot summer days or as quick snack. Sweet watermelon and a bit sour pineapple create the perfect balance and neither of the ingredients dominate over the other.



Blueberry muesli smoothie
(Serves 1)
- 125g blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 125ml 0% natural yogurt
- 125ml skimmed milk
- 25g muesli

Put all in the blender and enjoy as a delicious start for the day.

This is one of my absolute and long time favourites. I find this smoothie a great way to kick-start my day. It is filling enough to keep me going for hours and on top of that it is filled with all the goodness one can possible thing of:- antioxidants from blueberries, calcium and protein from milk and yogurt and fibre from muesli. Honestly, what else could one want from a smoothie? 



Raspberry & peach smoothie
(Serves 1)
- 100g raspberries, plus few for decoration
- 1 ripe peach, chopped
- 100 ml cold water

Blend everything until smooth. Serve over ice if wish and decorate with few raspberries.

This smoothie is light and refreshing, but depending on the sweetness of the peach it can also be quite sour, rather than sweet. This would be perfect when served with some crushed ice on a hot summer day to refresh and rehydrate yourself. 



Green smoothie
(Serves 1)
- 1/4 melon, peeled and chopped
- 1 kiwi, peeled and chopped
- 50g green seedless grapes

Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Serve with some mint and ice, or just enjoy by itself. Decorate with a kiwi slice or a grape.

This is light and refreshing smoothie, which is slightly sour. Great for breakfasts or to sip during a hot summer day.




Antioxidant smoothie
(Serves 1)
- 1 Pom Pomegranate juice (240ml)
- 150g mixed frozen berries (or other frozen fruit)

Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Enjoy immediately.

This is a perfect pick-me-up smoothie to have for breakfast that is sweet and sour at the same time. I love the fact that using frozen berries immediately results in a creamy and refreshing drink without having to add any ice and ending up diluting the taste of the smoothie itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment